Montgomery County Tennessee
Part of the American History and Genealogy Project

 

Montgomery County Originally Tennessee County

In respect of its antiquity Tennessee was the seventh county in the State of Tennessee; Washington, Sullivan, Green, Davidson, Sumner, and Hawkins only preceding it in order of time. In 1796 the Southwest Territory was admitted into the Union as the State of Tennessee. At the first session of the State Legislature, in 1796, the new county of Robertson was erected out of a part of the Territory of Tennessee County, and the name of the old county, which consisted of the remaining territory, was changed from Tennessee to Montgomery, its public buildings, officers, and courts remaining unchanged.

In pursuance of this act, the County Court of Tennessee County, composed of the worshipful Francis Prince, chairman, Brazel Boren, John Philips, Jacob Pennington, John Montgomery, Benjamin Hardin, George Bell and George Nevill, esquires, met at the house of Isaac Tittsworth, on the hill where Willie Pickering now lives, about two and a half miles south of Port Royal, on the 20th day of April, 1789, and completed the organization of the county by electing the following officers, to wit: Barkley Williams Pollock, clerk; Joseph B. Nevill, sheriff Benjamin Hardin, register; John Philips, ranger; and Joseph Martin, "crowner." The word "coroner" in the original bond is erased, and "crowner" interlined.

Putnam states as the impression of some aged citizens, that the complete organization did not take place until January, 1791, under the territorial government, and adds that they "seem to be confirmed in their recollections, when informed that there are no records to be found of a date earlier than 1791." It is unfortunately true that the record books prior to 1791 could not then be found, and since he wrote that from which he quoted has been lost. But there are now in the office of the County Court Clerk original papers, such as bonds of officers, administrators, etc., and the usual court processes and pleadings, which leave no doubt as to the regular organization of the county and opening of the County Court, April 20, 1789.

The great extent of Davidson County having rendered it inconvenient for its inhabitants to attend courts, general musters, and elections, in 1788, the General Assembly of North Carolina erected the northern and western portion of its territory, extending from the Sumner County line on the east to the Tennessee River on the west, and from the Virginia line on the north to 35° 50 seconds north latitude on the south, into a new and distinct county by the name of Tennessee.

Montgomery County | AHGP Tennessee

Source: History of Tennessee, Goodspeed Publishing Company, 1886

 

Please stop in again!!

Copyright August © 2011 - 2017 AHGP - Judy White
Enjoy the work of our webmasters, provide a link, don't copy their work.