Robertson County Tennessee
Part of the American History and Genealogy Project

Cities, Towns and Villages

 

Turnersville
Turnersville, a straggling, dilapidated post village, on Miller's Creek in the western part of the County, 10 miles from Springfield, in a broken and much worn section, was established in the early part of this century, and named for Major John E. Turner, a North Carolinian of Scotch descent. In its earlier days it was a place of some little, local importance, having a number of stores, mechanic shops, hotel, saloons, etc., but now it has an old appearance and is evidently on the decline. It has now but one store, a blacksmith shop, school, Methodist Church, 2 physicians, and a population of about 100, of which about one-third are colored.

Coopertown
Coopertown, a small post village on the Nashville & Clarksville road, 8 miles southwest from Springfield, was established about 1858, and its name suggested by David Nave on account of the cooper shops then in operation here. It is pleasantly located in an undulating, healthy and moderately fertile section, and has a store, some mechanic shops, school house. Christian Church, two physicians, and a population of about 75 inhabitants.

Barren Plains
Barren Plains, a post village at the crossing of the Gallatin and Hopkinsville and Springfield and Russellville roads, about __ miles north from Springfield, was established in 1825 by "Buckeye" Mason, its name having been suggested because the land was then barren of timber. It has now two stores, a family grocery, some mechanic shops, school. Masonic hall, two physicians, & about 60 inhabitants. It was about six miles north of this place, just beyond the Kentucky line, that the duel by Andrew Jackson and Dickinson was fought, 18__.

Blackjack
Blackjack, a post village on the Franklin and Springfield road, 11 miles northeast from the latter town, was established about 1859, and took its name from the blackjack timber in which it was located. It is situated in a pleasant agricultural district, and has three stores, one grocery, 1 saloon, some mechanic shops, schoolhouse, church, 1 physician, & about 100 inhabitants.

Villages of Robertson County

Cross Plains, a post village on the South Fork of Red River, 11 miles east from Springfield, and about three-fourths of a mile east of the site of "Kilgore's Station," was founded about the year 1812, and took its name from the crossing of the Nashville and Russellville and the Gallatin and Hopkinsville roads, where it is located. It is pleasantly situated on an elevated and rolling plain between the middle and South Forks of Red River, on land formerly belonging to James Yates, who was the first merchant in the place.

It has always been a live village, in the midst of a thriving community, noted for its health and morality. It has now 5 dry goods and grocery stores, 2 drug stores, 1 saloon, 1 blacksmith, 1 wagon, 1 tailor, 1 saddle and harness and 1 boot and shoe shop, 1 hotel: 1 school, Stonewall College; 1 church, Cumberland Presbyterian; 1 Masonic and Odd Fellows' hall, 1 steam saw and grist mill, a number of handsome cottage residences, and a population of about 150, of which about one-third are colored.

Cedar Hill, a post village on the St. L. & S. E, Railroad, 7 miles north of west from Springfield, was established on the land of J. W. Gooch, in 1857, and took its name from the few cedars nearby on the highest elevation between Nashville & Guthrie. It is delightfully located in a healthy, fertile and slightly undulating section of the County, surrounded by an intelligent and religious community. The village has now 2 dry goods stores, 3 grocery stores, 1 drug store, some mechanic shops, 1 steam flouring mill, school, a Methodist Church, Masonic Hall, hotel, 2 large tobacco houses, and a population of about 100, of which about one-tenth are colored.

Adam's Station, a post village on the St. L. & S. E. Railroad, 12 miles north-west from Springfield, was founded in 1859, on the lands of Jas. M. Adams for whom the place was named. It is pleasantly located in a broken, healthy and fertile section, on the south side of Red River, and is the largest village in the County. Thomas J. Adams & B. O. Crenshaw, J. M. Adams & Jas. Chambers, were the first merchants; F. J. Adams, first postmaster; M. G. Alexander, the first school teacher; the Methodists erected the first church in 1870, and Rev. John H. Reynolds was the first pastor. Dr. P. A. Williams was the first physician to locate here, about 1863. It was incorporated in 1870, and W. C. Tomerlin elected mayor. The place has grown slowly having been pretty well destroyed in the late Civil War. It has now 3 dry goods stores, 2 groceries, 2 drug stores, 2 saloons, some mechanic shops, good school; 2 churches, Methodist and Baptist; hotel, steam grist mill, 2 tobacco factories, 3 preachers, 3 physicians, 1 lawyer, & about 250 inhabitants, of which about one-fifth are colored.

Greenbrier and Sadlersville, also Ridge Top, are stations on the St. L. & S. E. Railroad in this County.

Robertson County | AHGP Tennessee

Thanks for Stopping by
Come Back Soon!!

Source: American Historical Magazine, Volume V, No. 1, editor W. R. Garrett, Peabody Normal College, Nashville, Tennessee, 1900.

 

Copyright August © 2011 - 2017 AHGP - Judy White
Enjoy the work of our webmasters, provide a link, don't copy their work.