Williamson County Tennessee
Part of the American History and Genealogy Project

 

Court of Pleas 1799 ~ 1809

Instead of the civil districts, as now represented, the county previous to 1834, was separated into militia companies, and over each company was a captain appointed by the county court and for each captain's company was appointed a tax lister. The county was at first divided into three divisions.

The court of pleas and quarter sessions was established February 26, 1799, while the General Assembly was in session at Knoxville. The court first met on the first Monday in February, 1800, at the house of Thomas McKay, in the town of Franklin. The court continued to meet here till November 3, 1800, when the session was opened in the courthouse.

The first justices holding court were John Johnson, Sr., James Buford, James Scurlock, Chapman White and Daniel Perkins. James Scurlock, who had previously qualified before a justice of Davidson County, proceeded to administer the oath to the others.

The court organized by electing Scurlock chairman, but after the organization he resigned, and was succeeded by Chapman White. The court then proceeded to elect a clerk, when N. P. Hardeman was chosen and gave bond in the sum of $5,000. Edmund Hall was chosen the first sheriff, and gave bond in the sum of $10,000.

Chapman White was made register;
Francis Hall, solicitor
Joseph Porter, ranger
Joel Williams and John Harness were chosen constables
Henry Rutherford was made first surveyor
William White, William Ashton and David Logan were made "searchers or patrollers" from Parrish's mill dam; Big Harpeth to the mouth of West Harpeth; thence up to the dividing ridge.

First Jury

James Scott
Samuel McCutchen
Samuel Edmunson
Ephraim Brown
James Hopkins
Richard Hightower
Andrew Goff
James Heeley
George Neeley
Joseph Parke
Thomas McKay
George Stringham
William Edmunson
Henry Walker
Isaac Baleman
Reuben Parke
Joseph Stevens
James McComico
Peter Edwards
Samuel McCrary
David McKinney
Henry Childress

The jury for the superior court of the Mero District consisted of Henry Rutherford, David McEwen, Thomas McKay, Abram Maury and Richard Hightower.

The tax listers were Daniel Perkins, who had that territory "north of the dividing line between Big and Little Harpeth, thence up Little Harpeth to Richard Hightower's and the Davidson County line."

James Scurlock all "east of the commissioner's trace"

Chapman White "all west of, the commissioner's trace."

Patrick McCutchen appeared the first day and recorded his Ed Ragsdale and Spencer Buford for the remaining part of the county.

The circuit court was authorized by an act of the General Assembly November 16, 1809, entitled an act establishing a circuit court and a supreme court of errors and appeals.

By order of the General Assembly of November 14, 1811, Thomas Stuart became judge of the Fourth Judicial Circuit of "law and equity." By the same act the judge was compelled to be a resident within his circuit. Judge

Sheriff Regular Jury Panel

Jacob Garrett
John Witherspoon
Henry Cook
Daniel Perkins
Thomas McEwen
Sion Hunt
George Hulme
Sherwood Greer
Nicholas Scales
John H. Eaton
James Bruff
Archibald Lytle
Newton Cannon
John Bostick
James Allison
Guilford Dudley
Burwell Temple
John Crawford
William Neeley
David Dickson
Stephen Childress
Samuel Perkins
William Bond
Richard Hightower
Berry Nolen
Charles Boyles
Hendley Stone
Thomas Alexander
John Wilson
Samuel Morton
Thomas Simmons
William Anthony
R. P. Currin
Thomas Wilson
Collin McDaniel
Thomas Gooch
Thomas Garrett
N. T. Perkins

First Grand Jury

Stephen Childress
William Boyd
N. T. Perkins
Hendley Stone
James McEwen
Samuel Morton Sr.
Guilford Dudley
Sherwood Greer
William Anthony
Thomas Gooch
John Bostick
Sion Hunt
Archibald Lytle
David Perkins

 Williamson County | AHGP Tennessee

Source: History of Tennessee, Goodspeed Publishing Company, 1886

 

Please stop in again!!

Copyright August © 2011 - 2017 AHGP - Judy White
Enjoy the work of our webmasters, provide a link, don't copy their work.