Williamson County Tennessee
Part of the American History and Genealogy Project

 

Towns, Villages and Settlements of the County

Peytonsville was called Snatchett

It is a matter of record that in 1836 Peytonsville was called Snatchett, or as the public now have it, Snatch. Its name originated in the fact, it is said, that one individual owed another $10, and the creditor being unable to collect the debt seized the opportune moment and snatched the money from the unsuspecting debtor. One of the first settlers at this place was Andrew Campbell.

Thompson Station

Thompson Station is located about seven miles south of Franklin, in District No. 1. It is the principal shipping point for that section of the county over the Louisville & Nashville Railroad. The place contains from 100 to 200 inhabitants. The station contains several stores, a cotton-gin and other business houses; also a Methodist and a Christian Church. Historically this place is known by several very severe engagements fought near it in the late war.

Brentwood

Brentwood is a station on the Louisville & Nashville Railroad near the line between Williamson and Davidson Counties. It is beautifully situated and contains several business houses, a post office, shops and a Methodist Church. A severe skirmish was fought here in Hood's retreat from Nashville.

Nolensville

Nolensville is situated on the head waters of Mill Creek in District No. 17. It was named in honor of one of the oldest families in the county. It is surrounded by an excellent farming country. Nolensville dates back in the thirties. The pike leading to Nashville from Nolensville was built in the latter part of the thirties and the beginning of the forties. Nolensville has a large number of business houses for a place of its size. It also has a graded school of three departments and a post office. There is an I. O. O. F. Lodge also a Masonic Lodge, a Blue Lodge and Chapter.

Triune

Triune is the name of a neighboring post office in District No. 18. It is on the pike leading from Nolensville to College Grove. This is the seat, of a church and has a consolidated school and a cotton gin nearby. This place is situated near the head waters of Wilson's Creek, a tributary of the Big Harpeth.

Arrington

Near the corners of Districts Nos. 14, 18 and 20, is a post office called Arrington.

College Grove

On Big Harpeth, near the county line is situated College Grove. This has long been a pleasant neighborhood and the seat of an excellent school. It now contains a school of three departments, a Presbyterian and a Methodist Church.

Jordan Store

On Grove Creek in the same district is Jordan Store post office.

Reed's Store

In the southeast corner of the county, in District No. 22, is Reed's Store post office.

Bethesda

Bethesda post office is situated near the center of District No. 12 in a thickly settled neighborhood. There has been a church at the place since 1839. There is also an academy and one or two business houses.

Peytonsville

Peytonsville now contains one store, a post office and a blacksmith shop. It also contains a Methodist Church built in 1857, and a Christian Church of recent construction. There is also a Masonic hall, Lodge No. 337, F. & A. M.

Other neighborhoods

Other neighborhoods, points and post offices are Williamsburg in the Fourth District; Boston post office, White Oak post office in the Second, and Leiper's Fork or Hillsboro post office in the Third. Hillsboro, or Hillsborough as formerly spelled, is an old settlement; James Adams was an early resident at that place. In the First are Christiana post office, Basin Springs post office and Smith's Springs; in the Fourth is West Harpeth and in the Seventh is Beechville. 

 Williamson County | AHGP Tennessee

Source: History of Tennessee, Goodspeed Publishing Company, 1886

 

Please stop in again!!

Copyright August © 2011 - 2017 AHGP - Judy White
Enjoy the work of our webmasters, provide a link, don't copy their work.